For most companies, managing their own server hardware and network operations is a very time consuming and often tedious task. Many are instead choosing to host their websites with third party cloud providers. Most cloud providers use virtual machines to host your site, in order to save hardware resources and also make your applications more efficient.
Using a virtual machine
Although different cloud providers have slightly varying processes, most of them have a similar way to help you start up your website. Here is the typical process:
- Sign up with a cloud service provider
- They set up a virtual machine for you and ask you to select from different operating system images
- Depending on your needs, you can choose from Windows server, and various Linux distributions
- Once you do this, the VM provider will then install the OS and configure your network for you
- You can then login to the virtual machine over the network
Once logged in, you can install your applications and host your website over the network. For the most part, this process is very easy and uncomplicated and you can get started within a few minutes after signing up.
Benefits of virtual machines
Hosting your applications and sites with virtual machine providers has a number of benefits:
- You do not need to worry about system administration, saving admin costs
- The service provider gives you all the configuration options and for the most part, the default config works very well.
- Since your virtual machine is hosted along with other machines on the same hardware, you do not have to pay for dedicated hardware
- Since your website is running on a virtual machine, it can easily be backed up to multiple locations
- If there is an issue with your virtual machine, you can simply create a support ticket and have it resolved in a few minutes
When you change the system configuration to more closely meet your website requirements there are always chances that you will make a mistake rendering the machine unusable. In such instances, you can go back to the default configuration. Even if that does not work, you can restore the machine from your backups to a previous working state.
Choosing a VM provider
There are multiple reliable cloud providers like today, but you need to review your requirements and see to it that the company you choose will be able to meet them.
Among your chief concerns should be:
- Uptime guarantees
- SLA agreements
- Power efficiency costs
The cheapest virtual machine provider is not necessarily the best. If you find a great value in hosting, try to find out if they are cutting corners somewhere in order to keep their costs down.
It is ideal if your VM runs on a dedicated server, but this is not always possible while providing the cost saving benefits. At the very least, you can ensure that the server hardware is running as few VM’s as possible at any given time. This will keep your website running faster for your customers.
Author’s Bio : Jack Aslan works with one of the best service providers offering virtual machine solutions to their business clients. If you are looking for dedicated servers for reasonable prices to run your business, you could visit their website for detailed information.